Re: Looking for "Technical Writer"

Subject: Re: Looking for "Technical Writer"
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 08:46:17 -0700

At 08:53 AM 12/29/98 -0600, Tom Wadsworth wrote:
>and the like. I believe the right person should have (1) good writing =
>skills (2) an understanding and interest in engineering/technical =
>matters (3) and some page layout/design expertise. I think we'd like an =
>entry level person.
>
>MY QUESTION: Is there some helpful phrase that I can put in our Job =
>Opening Advertisement that will weed out anyone who is overqualified or =
>underqualified?

Inferring a little from your message, I'm assuming that it's not that
you particularly _WANT_ an entry level person, but that you're willing
to pay only for an entry level person. Right?

First, as I understand entry-level, prior experience isn't required, at
least beyond internships and the like. Thus, if you're looking for
entry level, you can hardly get underqualified, particularly if they
have some writing experience or skill.

Depending on the job market in Dixon, Illinois, consider posting the
pay range you're prepared to offer. In many job markets, that will
quickly reduce the number of resumes that you're likely to receive.
If you're offering an entry-level wage, I can't imagine that you'll
be swamped with applicants who could command more.

It sounds to me that you're looking for a broad
and non-specific skill set, inexperienced, cheap (my assumption),
tech writer. Have you given any thought to the quality
and productivity expectations you have? Does that figure into
your hiring decision?

Eric

Eric J. Ray RayComm, Inc.
http://www.raycomm.com/ ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com

*Award-winning author of several popular computer books
*Syndicated columnist: Rays on Computing
*Technology Department Editor, _Technical Communication_

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=