Re: Portfolio questions

Subject: Re: Portfolio questions
From: Darren Barefoot <dbarefoot -at- MPS-CANADA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 16:38:16 -0800

In short, here's what I adhere to:

* Use a good-sized (11 x 17ish) graphic-designer-type black portfolio
* No more than 10 - 12 pieces
* The pieces should each display a page (the most impressive) from a given
project. It's okay to display two or three pieces from the same project, as
they as they're distinctive and display different aspects of your work.
* The pieces should be sorted so that the most impressive and relevant work
occurs near the end (arts editorials and newsletters near the front).
* I use little flags or stickies to lead the reader through the portfolio,
pointing out particular elements I developed (page design, effectiveness of
step-by-steps, etc.) or related successes or comments on the project.
* The reader is likely the skim your portfolio - it needs to look sharp,
coherent and enticing.

If I can find them, I have a couple of excellent articles on portfolios,
which I could probably fax to you, or at least find a good on-line version.
I'll have a look when I get a chance. Hope that helps. DB.