Beginning sections on a new page?

Subject: Beginning sections on a new page?
From: "Geoff Hart (by way of \"Eric J. Ray\" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>)" <ght -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 02:46:00 -0700

Eileen O'Malley wrote <<Each chapter of my book begins with a small
(one to three paragraphs) intro and then jumps into the sections. The
main sections begin on their own page. Should the first page contain
just the intro and the first section begins on its own page? Is it
acceptable to begin the first section on the same page as the intro
and all subsequent sections begin on their own page?>>

When it comes right down to it, this is purely a matter of personal
preference. Provided the layout is otherwise professionally executed
(i.e., adequate amounts of well-used white space), it really doesn't
matter whether chapters and sections start on new pages or continue
right where the previous section left off. Consistency suggests
that if you start the first section on the same page as the intro,
that you don't start other sections on their own pages, but if that's
the worst inconsistency you have to worry about with your manuals,
then you're doing just fine.

About the only reason I can think of to start a new page every time
is if you expect to be issuing chapter updates periodically (e.g.,
for use in three-ring binders); then, it might make sense to make
each replaceable unit start and end on its own page so you
can print it independently of the surrounding units. Ditto if you
plan to issue the updates via PDF so people can print their own. But
given the antipathy techwr-l has expressed to updates and three-ring
binders in the past, I suspect that this isn't a big concern.
--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Patience comes to those who wait."--Anon.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=