Re: Numbers

Subject: Re: Numbers
From: Scott McClare <smcclare -at- DY4 -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 15:12:55 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Leona L. Magee-Dupree [SMTP:leona -dot- magee-dupree -at- CCBCC -dot- COM]
Sent: Monday, December 21, 1998 3:04 PM
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
Subject: Numbers

>Which setence is correct?
>
>After you press the "Ok" button, page 2 displays.
>or
>
>After you press the "Ok" button, page two displays.

Is this a trick question? 8-)

"Displays" is a transitive verb; the software, computer, browser, or
whatever displays the page, but the page doesn't just "display."
(Didn't we just thrash this out a month ago?)

To answer what you REALLY wanted to know, I'd be inclined to go with
"page 2" as pages are almost always numbered with numerals (whether
Arabic or Roman). I suppose, if you happen to have one of those
extremely rare manuals where the pages are numbered "one," "two," up to
"three hundred and forty-seven," then you could go with that. 8-)

Take care,

Scott

--
Scott McClare - Technical Writer
DY 4 Systems Inc., Kanata, Ontario, Canada

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=