Re: Information Mapping

Subject: Re: Information Mapping
From: Mary McWilliams Johnson <mary -at- SUPERCONNECT -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 08:44:30 -0600

The Information Mapping folks didn't invent the concept they promote. The
idea of chunking text into bite-sized pieces, placing "labels" in the left
column, etc., had been used by smart documenters for quite a while. What
they did was to precisely define and give names to all documentation
elements, set down rules for when, why, and how you use each element, and
then package all this into a course of study that costs approximately $1200.

Although I think it's overpriced, IM has made it possible for a team of
IM-enlightened writers to produce highly readable documents using a common
methodology and appearance, with little quibbling over style and structure.

Unfortunately, not everyone can afford these lessons, so people tend to
pick up the IM principles and styles by seeing what others do and copying
the results. Still, I think IM is really great, and to the extent that
everyone adheres to its teachings, we will have better and better
documentation.

Cordially, Mary McWilliams Johnson
McJohnson Communications
Documentation / Web Site Design, Development and Graphics
http://www.superconnect.com
"The biggest mistake people make in life is not trying to make a living
at doing what they most enjoy." ~ Malcomb S. Forbes

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000