Re: USER Guides

Subject: Re: USER Guides
From: Matt Craver <MCraver -at- OPENSOLUTIONS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 17:14:15 -0500

Robert Maxey [Bob_Maxey -at- MTN -dot- 3COM -dot- COM] wrote:
> It is simple..... The average customer wants a book. This has been
proven
> time and time again. People much prefer the printed newspaper to the
> on-line versions. People expect to get a book, it has been this way
for
> many years. So provide documents.

Simple? I beg to differ. Proven? Where has it been proven, what research
papers have proven this?
Our users, for instance, are eager to move to online documents. We don't
distribute any printed "books", and users like to have the documentation set
(several thousand pages long) in PDF format. We are now moving towards the
web as a document-on-demand delivery vehicle. As with so many other
questions on this list, the audience should determine the type of
documentation delivery.
-Matthew Craver,
Technical Documentation
Open Solutions Inc.