Re: PDF v paper

Subject: Re: PDF v paper
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- SOUNDY -dot- ML -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 07:15:56 -0800

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998 06:45:15 -0800, Robert Plamondon wrote:

>On-line documentation uses a very weak medium: the computer monitor.
>Detailed drawings cannot be displayed properly, and the text is blurry and
>difficult to read compared to printed manuals.

Ain't that the truth! And let's not forget how different resolutions can
affect the view -- on my laptop at 800x600 on a 12.1" display, a help
dialog may fill a good third of the screen and the graphics and text be
particularly blocky because of the LCD. The same help dialog viewed on my
server, at 1280x1024 with a 15" monitor (~13.8 viewable) sits by itself
far down in a corner, the text extremely small. Color in graphics are
particularly mottled with the less-than-perfect video drivers for my
laptop's NeoMagic video chipset, running at 64k colors (especially
compared to the full 16.7M colors on the server).

To put it simply, it's a less-than-perfect environment for extensive
online reading.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<All standard disclaimers apply>
"Reality is in alpha test on protoype hardware."

To seek the sacred river Alph
To walk the caves of ice
To break my fast on honeydew
And drink the milk of Paradise...