Re: PDF vs. paper

Subject: Re: PDF vs. paper
From: Scott Miller <smiller -at- PORTAL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 14:14:44 -0800

Even though I think printed docs are easier to use overall than online docs,
I still advocate online documentation wherever it works (not in a steam pit,
whatever that is) for a couple of reasons, one of them being the
tree-hugging thing, and the other being that it's a young media, and we're
getting better at it. If we keep at it, someday it will be better than print
overall. Look at some Windows help files from just 4 years ago to see how
much better we are at writing help. Also, online docs are a lot more fun and
interesting to write. More challenging, too, which is another indication
that online docs are more difficult to use than printed.

- Scott M
smiller -at- portal -dot- com

-
> In support of on-line documentation, there's another factor that everyone
> seems a bit reticint to address: The affect on the environment. Growing
> up
> in a resource-based economy taught me the value of trees, among other
> things. Consider how much paper would be saved if say, ten percent of
> software products now shipping with hardcopy chose not on-line docs
> instead.
> Call me a tree-hugger, but this, more than any turbid inclinations of the
> users or writers alike, seems a worthwhile advantage. DB.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=