Re: PC vs Mac

Subject: Re: PC vs Mac
From: AlQuin <cbon -at- WXS -dot- NL>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 17:13:02 +0100

On 12-12-1998 03:24 Beth Friedman wrote:

>In our previous episode, Emily Davidson said:
>> I am just graduating from college and I want to invest in a new
>> computer. I want to be able to learn things like Framemaker, Quark,
>> and Robohelp on my own. My brother-in-law says everyone in the
>> professional world uses Mac, so I should get a Mac and learn the Mac
>> versions. I don't like Macs much (yes I have used them), and have no
>> particular desire to own one. But if he's right and I really need to
>> know Mac versions of software, then I'll get one and learn to like it.
>
>It depends what you're planning to do. If you're doing technical
>writing, get a PC. If you're planning on doing more in the way of
>heavy graphics/DTP work, a Mac is probably the way to go.
>
>Your brother-in-law is dead wrong about everyone using Macs. Graphic
>artists uses them, but not many other people (in the business world).

It IS true the Mac has been traditionally widespread in the DTP-world.
However, you can't class the Mac being a typical artwork machine and a
Windoze box being a business tool, since you may find the major
applications on BOTH platforms.
I prefer Macintosh since it has superb network (Appletalk) and Internet
facilities and is versatile to any platform and application: I can
im/export everything by my fingertips. An option Windows still lacks.

Use what you tastes best. The only drawback using a Macintosh is that the
rest of the world presumes you're using Powerpoint98 or Word98 in Windows
on issuing their files...

Regards
Kees de Bondt

Firmitas, Utilitas, Venustas: AlQuin Total Quality

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=