Re: word count in FrameMaker 5.5

Subject: Re: word count in FrameMaker 5.5
From: Scott Havens <SHavens -at- ELCOTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 13:20:16 -0500

> At 01:57 PM 12/7/98 , Judith Eisenberg wrote:
> >Does anyone know if FrameMaker can count the words in a book? If
> not, is
> >there a utility that does this for .PDF docs?

To which Peter Gold responded:
While you can't count the words in a FrameMaker book with File >
Utilities
> Document Reports > Word Count, if you create a new document
and use File
> Import File to import all the book's files into the new
document, the
Word Count utility counts all the words in the imported
documents.

And I add:
I really can't see any value in merging all of the files into
one big one. (It would be a problem in very large documents having
multiple chapters, appendices, etc.) FrameMaker SHOULD have a way of
counting words, maybe as one of those SHIFT-CLICK functions that they
use for global book operations. If they're on the ball, maybe they'll
add one in the future...<not holding my breath!>

Making one big file just so you can count the words and throw it
away seems like a waste of time to me. I'd rather do a count on each
document, then sit there with a calculator and add them up! I think
that would be less work, anyway.

Scott R. Havens
Elcotel, Inc.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=