Re: Degree

Subject: Re: Degree
From: "Green, Stan" <Stan -dot- Green -at- AAI-US -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 16:15:48 -0600

As a publication manager I would not hire any technical communicator without
a degree. Why... because I believe that Technical Communications is a
profession not a trade. I believe a technical Communicator is as valuable to
a corporation as and Engineer, or Accountant; therefore, should be treated
accordingly and also have core prerequisite skills just like any other
recognized profession. A college degree does not make one smarter, but it
shows that a person has had the discipline required to obtain a 4-year
degree. Most corporations have professional grade levels with a BS or BA
degree requirement attached to each level. You may argue that a degree is
not required to be a technical communicator..... but there are plenty of
writers and managers who once where writers who can attest the importance
attached to having a degree. The difference in having a degree and not
having degree is not only bucks but stagnation and burn-out.... wait 10 to
15 years to answer.

Thanks

stan