Use of "Here's"

Subject: Use of "Here's"
From: Tim Raymond <71250 -dot- 1550 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 08:22:18 -0600

Hi all,

Please tell me "here's" not lost its meaning.

I'm seeing more and more [in advertising and some technical writing] cases
where "here's" is used to refer to a plural ... heck, I'm even having
trouble describing it (it gives me the willies), 'here's' an EXAMPLE:

:: Here's our best ideas ::

Another example:

:: Here's your assignment sheets ::

That construction, along with "there's many reasons," etc. seem to have
entered common use in speech, and some folks think it sounds fine, doesn't
it sound awful when it's:

:: Here is our best ideas ::

or

:: There is many reasons :: ????

True, "There're many reasons" may be hard for some folks to say, but I sure
say it that way!

Have these 'common uses' entered the realm of (approved) technical writing?

TIA,

--tim

We have met the enemy and he is us --Pogo
<<couldn't resist, didn't want you folks to think I took myself *too*
seriously>>

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=