Re: Job Dissatisfaction

Subject: Re: Job Dissatisfaction
From: David Orr <dorr -at- ORRNET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 09:08:14 -0600

I hire a lot of technical writers, so I review many resumes. I would be
careful about having more than two jobs of short duration on your
resume, if you are planning to work as a full-time staff person. You
might consider contract technical writing. A contract technical writer
changes jobs two or three times a year. If you get bored easily,
contracting could be the solution.

Dear Anonymous,

I hire a lot of technical writers, so I review many resumes. Be careful
about having more than two jobs of short duration on your resume, if you
are planning to work as a full-time staff person. You might consider
contract technical writing. A contract technical writer changes jobs two
or three times a year. If you get bored easily, contracting could be the
solution.

On the other hand, the solution to your problem may be in your own
email:

>When I first got here they werent
>giving me any work at all and I complained to my manager and now I'm at
>least getting work...

Maybe you need to complain to your boss, or at least talk, about not
getting the big picture. Ask for it. I don't know you, but your letter
has a victimy tone. Maybe your friends know you better than you do.

Asking a boss, in a dialogue something like the following, may work
better: "Hi Boss, I have a problem, I have a hard time writing
something good unless I know where it fits in to the big picture. Could
you tell me where this piece fits in?" This approach avoids blaming
others, or the company, and gives a rationale for sharing information
with you. It also makes the issue your problem. You are taking
responsibility. People like that!

Hope this helps.

David Orr
Orr & Associates Corporation