Re: Productivity Formulas -Reply

Subject: Re: Productivity Formulas -Reply
From: David Spiteri <DSPITERI -at- TUC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 07:42:17 -0600

The JoAnn Hackos book entitled Managing Documentation Projects does an excellent job covering the subject of estimating. Publisher: Wiley Technical Communication Library (ISBN 0-471-59099-1)

>>> Debi <debi -at- LAHIT -dot- CO -dot- IL> 12/02/98 01:25am >>>
Counting the number of pages produced is a problematic measure since it
doesn't address VALUE ADDED. The truth is - we still sometimes use 'number
of pages' as a pricing strategy (we offer documentation services to high
tech companies). However, we are not happy with this approach, since better
documentation is often shorter.

We are making efforts to evaluate 'value-added' in terms of meeting users'
needs. The extent to which we meet user's needs can be measured more or
less empirically. We are exploring the use of measures such as changes in
problems reported in the customer support database, questionnaires and
surveys.

Janice Redish's article "Adding Value as a Professional Technical
Communicator" offers concrete suggestions for doing this. (Technical
Communication, First Quarter, 1995).

Looking forward to reading more about this,

Good Luck
Debi

Debi Parush
Managing Director
LaHIT - Human Information Technologies Ltd.
Web Site: www.lahit.co.il; Email: debi -at- lahit -dot- co -dot- il
Tel: 972-9-7460 420