Re: Query: linking text in Word Docs in Source Safe

Subject: Re: Query: linking text in Word Docs in Source Safe
From: Barclay Blanchard <Bblancha -at- MANHATTANASSOCIATES -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 07:45:24 -0500

1. How are you linking the docs/info?

You can bookmark the original of the text you want
included in a second document and then use an IncludeText
field (Insert->Field and follow the prompts) to
automatically include that text in the second document.
Then in the second document, you can select Tools->
Options, General tab, and check the box for Update
automatic links at Open.

2. As for SourceSafe, you'll have to check out both
documents, update the original, and open the one
with the field linking to the original text so that
it gets updated. Save both documents and check them
back in.

> Hi, All.
>
> I am trying to get text to link from one Word document to another
> and update automatically.
>
> Here is the situation:
> I have two Word documents stored in Visual Source Safe--
> document X and document Y.
>
> Here is what I need to do:
> I need text in document X inserted and linked in document Y
> so that when I update document X, document Y is updated
> automatically. The rub is in two places. First is to get the update
> to occur automatically. Second is to get the update to occur
> even though the documents are in Visual SourceSafe.
>
> Please, oh please send me a note if you know how to do this.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Leonard Porrello
> Engineering Scribe
> ES&S, Omaha