Re: ANON: Job Dissatisfaction

Subject: Re: ANON: Job Dissatisfaction
From: Justin Soles <jsoles -at- TYPHOON -dot- CO -dot- JP>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 12:12:02 +0900

Hi there,

Why not become a contractor rather than a "Salari-man" or "Salari-woman"?
(what they call full-time employees here in Japan)

Finding the right agency would be tough (other people have made excellent
contributions on this topic) but the benefits would be a) you're not
committed to any one company b) you might be able to focus on jobs requiring
a "technical writer" rather than "all-round computer whiz who can write
too". If you don't like where you are or what you're doing, you have the
freedom to change when the contract is up.

Money? That's a real issue, especially if you have a wife and kids and are
living comfortably. The job security, benefits, pension and insurance plans
of large companies definately AREN'T there if you're a contractor. But IMHO,
you have got to love what you do and do what you love - ignore this at your
own peril. (I have and paid for it every time...)

Contact me privately if you want to talk further - sometimes having an "ear"
can make all the difference in the world.

Cheers,

Justin

Justin Soles
PacificData Inc.