Fw: Question for Hiring Managers

Subject: Fw: Question for Hiring Managers
From: Lisa Hodge <lhodge -at- PRIORITYCALL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 15:32:18 -0500

I don't really worry about tools certification too much...I prefer to ask
detailed questions about any tools that my dept. uses and that the candidate
"claims" to know. I may ask a specific question about the way anchored
frames are used or about how the indexing function works in Frame, for
example. If we've run into a specific problem in Frame, I'll ask the
candidates if they've ever run into it...if they have, we can talk about
some solutions that they've tried...if they haven't, I'll ask if they have
any ideas on how I might solve the problem, etc. The level of detail in the
response is usually a clue as to how well the person knows the package.

Also, let me add that I've never disqualified candidates who don't know the
software we use. I'm a firm believer that if the candidate is proficient in
one DTP package, the concepts carry over to many other packages, and the
"how-to's" are easier for the person to pick up.

Just my opinion...

Lisa M. Hodge
Manager, Technical Publications
Priority Call Management