Re: Benchmark salary - junior tech writer

Subject: Re: Benchmark salary - junior tech writer
From: "Steven J. Owens" <puff -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 18:35:37 -3200

Elna Tymes writes:
> In the realm of Ain't that interesting?...
>
> In the job listings on DICE today, we found a job req. for a Junior
> Technical Writer, for a company in Silicon Valley, paying $25-45/hour.
>
> And you worried that tech. writing was a dead end job!

A couple factors. The fact that it was posted on DICE.com
suggests very strongly that it's a contract position. See my post a
few weeks ago about the life of a contractor. Contracts typically pay
much higher for the privilege of treating the employee like a
disposable person.

Second, it's in Silly Valley. Compared to most sane
cost-of-living areas, $25-40/hour translates to $12.50-20/hour.

Sorry to burst your bubble. Tech writers *can* and *do* get
paid good rates, but it's a tough row to hoe finding the jobs and
proving you're worth the money. There's a reason I mostly support
myself doing web dev these days...

Steven J. Owens
puff -at- netcom -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=