How fast do I need to be able to write?

Subject: How fast do I need to be able to write?
From: Michael Michalchik <C6H10N2O2 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 12:25:51 EST

Hi All,

I am the guy who is interested in scientific journalism, but I am expecting
that there will be dry spells in which I will need to take any gig I can get.
If I do get a job doing something like a software manual, how fast is it
reasonable for an employer to expect me to work. I say this not because I am a
slow writer, I am actually pretty fast, but I do get writers block every so
often, so my speed varies a lot.

What speed should I be shooting for so my employer won't be breathing down my
neck and will want to rehire me? I ask this because I can overcome my writers
block by lowering the quality of my writing. I also want to know how to
estimate hours (not in a realistic way) but in a way that employers will
accept. I just work hours I don't declare to make up the difference and hit
the deadline.

Thanks,

Michael Michalchik

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=