Re: Technical name for the #?

Subject: Re: Technical name for the #?
From: Judyth Mermelstein <Judyth_Mermelstein -at- BABYLON -dot- MONTREAL -dot- QC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 20:23:45 GMT

TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU,Internet writes:
David Lettvin said:
>I like gridlet. I like it better than all the rest put together.
>Octothorpe is cute but takes too long to say.

Do you plan to rename chocolate, too?

As an old-fogey editor, I say "If something has a name, use it." It will
always be an octothorpe to me. I do call it a "number sign" when dealing with
children and the elderly, but "pound sign" sets my teeth on edge. "Gridlet"
is cute but, like the other suggestions, surely unnecesary. The
trisyllabically challenged can just think "octopus" and they'll do fine.


Judyth Mermelstein
freelance writer, editor, translator, and curmudgeon
<judyth_mermelstein -at- babylon -dot- montreal -dot- qc -dot- ca>

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

Previous by Author: translations
Next by Author: Re: Very dangerous new Virus
Previous by Thread: Re: Technical name for the #?
Next by Thread: Re: Technical name for the #?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads