Re: Project Communications

Subject: Re: Project Communications
From: bj <barbara -at- QUOTE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 13:50:01 -0800

Whenever you have a large group of people with varied responsibilities working on a project, communication is critical and is usually the first thing to go by the wayside. In a couple places I've worked, we've established a "pass on log," in which any and all project members could jot down questions, problems, accomplishments, and so on. Everyone was required to read and "initial" the log at the beginning of their shift and at the end, even if they themselves had nothing
to say.

It was then left to the leads and the project manager to decide if items in the pass on log warranted a formal meeting...or if some member of the project team felt an issue was important enough for a special meeting, they could request one. Regular meetings can be a good thing, but frequently they are just time wasters. The pass on log provides agenda items and, a big plus for forgetful folks like me, you make your entry before you have a chance to forget it. Agenda
item??? I said I had an agenda item? Gee, I don't remember what it was. \;+)

It's a simple thing, but it also points up where the assets need to be deployed, where the trouble spots are, who may be out of their depth or who may have time to help someone who's getting behind.

No biggie, but it really works, and it really gives the whole group a sense of unity and gives everyone a stake in everyone else's progress. Oh, and nasty comments, finger pointing and venting are strictly prohibited. That log will be there "forever," so no one says anything in it that they don't want to confront on a daily basis for all eternity (or until the project ends).

BJ

David Harrison wrote:

> Hi Guys
>
> I've just been asked to accept a new task and I'd really like a bit of knowledge form the group or just an opinion or two.
> Our company is midway through a major project and they feel that their internal communications isn't working as well as it should and so they want someone (me!) to address the situation. (heard it before huh?) They have an internal communication strategy document which lists roughly who should inform who about what and when/how often. But like so many other company policy documents, its stays on a shelf gathering dust and people moan about not knowing what is going one.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=