Re: Using immersive

Subject: Re: Using immersive
From: "Steven J. Owens" <puff -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 19:44:16 -0800

John Kaiser writes:

> I'm seeing "immersive" cropping up in descriptions like "features
> offer better graphics, faster frame rates and more immersive audio
> when running and displaying programs...
> It seems odd to me. Or is it the latest multimedia buzzword?
> Anyone else seeing this word?

"Immersive" is a fairly old-but-specialized buzzword from the
Virtual Reality area that's apparently becoming widespread
marketspeak. "Immersive technologies" or "immersive interfaces" was a
phrase used to refer to things like virtual reality, where the user is
pretty much immersed in the interface - i.e. instead of the interface
taking up a spot on the desk and a square of flat space in front of
him/her, with an occasional beep or click, it takes over the user's
entire sensory world.

The phrase actually had a fairly useful role at one point, as a
kind of non-denominational descriptor for the various players in that
technological sphere. It attempted to characterize the essential
underlying quality of the technology, rather than a particular
component (3D) or piece of equipment (eyephones & dataglove) or a
trademarked term (Virtual Reality is or was owned by Lanier Labs, I
think, Autodesk trademarked Cyberspace (in retaliation for which
Gibson trademarked the name of Autodesk's CEO)).

Steven J. Owens
puff -at- netcom -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

Previous by Author: Re: Breaking into Technical Writing
Next by Author: Re: FW: Front Page
Previous by Thread: Using immersive
Next by Thread: Re: Breaking into Technical Writing

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads