Re: Technical name for the #?

Subject: Re: Technical name for the #?
From: Beth Agnew <bagnew -at- INSYSTEMS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 13:31:52 -0500

A couple of you commented that using "octothorpe" for the # if your audience
would recognize it as a "pound" sign or "number" sign is confusing for the
reader. Very true. But why not use it as a knowledge transmission
opportunity, instead of just an information transmission one? If appropriate
for the design of your publication, you could include a parenthetical phrase
such as (also called an "octothorpe" or "number sign") or a small callout
box with the symbol and its synonyms.

Whatever you choose to call it, include the other options in the index in
case someone goes looking for the "Hash" mark.


Beth Agnew
Senior Technical Writer, InSystems Technologies Inc.
65 Allstate Parkway, Suite 100  Tel: (905) 513-1400 ext. 280
Markham, Ontario, Canada L3R 9X1        Fax: (905) 513-1419
mailto:bagnew -at- insystems -dot- com    Visit us at:

See my friendly face at:

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000

Previous by Author: PDF to Word -- Conversion problem
Next by Author: Re: Technical name for the #?
Previous by Thread: Re: Technical name for the #?
Next by Thread: Re: Technical name for the #?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads