Réf. : A Theory at the End of the Rainbow?

Subject: Réf. : A Theory at the End of the Rainbow?
From: Mark Craig <mcraig -at- WINCAPSOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 18:16:33 +0100

Information Mapping (http://www.infomap.com/) is another "chunking and
analyzing the needs of the user" method, which I know better than Clustar
(http://www.simplywritten.com/clustx.htm). It works great for task-based
documentation. The really hard part is forcing yourself to use the method.

However, when you're trying to get the user to catch on rather than perform
tasks (as in programmer's guides), you need something less specifically
task-based. A good, thin book to start you thinking is "The presentation of
technical information" by Reginald O'Kapp
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0094590702/qid%3D911494830/002-3730
706-4994409). It was recently reprinted by the ISTC
(http://www.istc.org.uk/) though I have no idea whether that printing has
sold out or not. It has helped me pull back and get a better look at the
big picture as I do documentation for an SDK.

Very interesting thread.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=