Re: Copyright Clearance Center

Subject: Re: Copyright Clearance Center
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:45:06 -0600

> I'm currently working for someone who's had several technical books
> published, and he recently received a check for around $250 from this
> organization. According to the enclosed material, this is royalties
> for non-specific copying in Netherlands, Germany, and Spain, where
> photocopy license fees are charged.

Based on a very brief look at their website, it seems the copyright
owner has to sign up for CCC to "manage" their copyright clearances. Did
your friend do this?

> On the face of it, this looks like free money. Does anyone know if
> there's any catch we might be missing?

Playing devil's advocate... I wonder if this could be similar to the
organizations that find people who have unclaimed property and offer to
claim it for a hefty finder's fee. I wonder if his portion of the
"photocopy license fees" would be much higher if he were able to claim
it directly. And I wonder if, when he endorses that check, he signs away
his right to do so. Just some cynical thoughts.

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Curriculum & Instructional Materials Center
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=