Re: Framemaker vs. Pagemaker

Subject: Re: Framemaker vs. Pagemaker
From: danny <djyoung -at- CTS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 09:49:10 -0800

>This isn't a "Why Framemaker over Pagemaker?" question as much as it is a
>"why do *TechWriters* prefer Framemaker while Marketing and design folks
>prefer Quark and Pagemaker?" question.

The answer to your question is that choosing a program isn't a preference.
I big part of a "technical communicators" job is to pick the right program
for the project. The following is probably a generalization.. but I see

Quark as mainly for newspaper and magazine layouts

PageMaker as mainly for brochures and newsletters

FrameMaker for longer technical documents, especially ones that tend to
"blowup" Microsoft Word

Of course a skilled "computer user" can make any computer program do amazing
things, but it important to keep applications perspective and use each
program for what it is designed to do. I guess this moves into the realm of
a company managing there resources correctly. Even if that company is a
person of one.

laters

danny

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=