Re: Framemaker vs. Pagemaker

Subject: Re: Framemaker vs. Pagemaker
From: John Posada <john -at- TDANDW -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 13:04:19 -0500

Hi, Kathleen..

Having done writing for both worlds, the difference (to me) is:

The TechCom documents I create in Frame are very large, hundreds or thousands
of pages, little color, very fluid until the end (add a section, move a
section, delete a section, clone a section 3 times and modify the text in each
section, etc.), where the MarCom documents are much smaller, 10-20 pages, and
very specific about anchored graphics placement, (anchored to the page location
and word wrapped, not to the text location), pull-out quotes, 4 color, small
amount of text hammered down to the letter, precision typography, (ever try to
adjust the kerning of a specific pair of letters to 1/1000 of an inch "easily"
in Frame?),etc.

Frame does the former better and PageMaker/Quark do the latter better.

my $.02

Kathleen Mattson wrote:

> I see so much on this list about Framemaker, yet I don't see any mention of
> Pagemaker or Quark. I'm a Pagemaker person myself, although my company
> dictates that all the tech docs are in Word (ugh).
>
> This isn't a "Why Framemaker over Pagemaker?" question as much as it is a
> "why do *TechWriters* prefer Framemaker while Marketing and design folks
> prefer Quark and Pagemaker?" question.

-
John Posada, Technical Writer
Bellcore, where Customer Satisfaction is our number one priority
mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com mailto:jposada -at- notes -dot- cc -dot- bellcore -dot- com
phone(w) 732-699-3077 phone(h) 732-2910-7811
alpha-pager: 800-864-8444 pin 1857522 http://www.tdandw.com
email pager: mailto:1857522 -at- pagemart -dot- net
My opinions are mine, and neither you nor my company can take credit for
them.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish,
and he will sit in a boat and smoke cigars all day."
"The only perfect document I ever created is still on my hard drive."

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=