Re: What do you know about API Documentation?

Subject: Re: What do you know about API Documentation?
From: Gerry Bourguignon <GBourgui -at- LAVASYS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 10:00:37 -0500

Not very much, really. I can tell you that the API doc I currently maintain
contains a list of available functions by category, along with definitions,
error messages, examples, and programmers notes. I did not define the
structure, but I understand that the developer responsible had suggested
something along the lines of a Microsoft manual he'd liked. The consistent
use of character formatting (bold and italics, for example) helps to
identify the syntax for each function. There are several ways to improve
accessibility, such as providing supplemental indices that list the
functions alphabetically or by any other criteria that might make sense
within your particular domain.

Regards,
Gerry Bourguignon
LAVA Systems Inc.