TechWhirl (TECHWR-L) is a resource for technical writing and technical communications professionals of all experience levels and in all industries to share their experiences and acquire information.
For two decades, technical communicators have turned to TechWhirl to ask and answer questions about the always-changing world of technical communications, such as tools, skills, career paths, methodologies, and emerging industries. The TechWhirl Archives and magazine, created for, by and about technical writers, offer a wealth of knowledge to everyone with an interest in any aspect of technical communications.
SSD survey, I need everyone to respond (help a poor college student out)
Subject:SSD survey, I need everyone to respond (help a poor college student out) From:Steve Davis <Steve -dot- Davis -at- RTTC -dot- REDSTONE -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL> Date:Thu, 12 Nov 1998 10:00:07 -0600
Several weeks ago I sent 10 people a sample survey. Their answers and
comments were invaluable. I am in the final stages of my research, and
would appreciate if you would take 5 or 10 minutes to answer this
survey. My report will not represent a study of SSD, but rather whether
or not a specific company (the client for my project) should start SSD
using Robohelp and FrameMaker.
This survey should take less than ten minutes; like me I am sure
your time is valuable. Most questions can be answered quickly. Do not
hesitate to skip any questions that deal with proprietary or personal
issues (everything is optional). Having said that, the quantity of
answers and the reliability of my results are directly proportional.
Mail the results to me, and I will post a compilation on the server.
Sdavis -at- rttc -dot- redstone -dot- army -dot- mil
SSD= Single Source User documentation
B. Job Title:
C. Company name and location:
D. How long have you worked in the Tech. Comm. field?
1. On how many projects a year does your company use SSD?
0-5, 6-15, 16-50, all.
2. How many types of documentation are produced from a single
3. How long have you worked with SSD?
never, 1-11 months, 1-3 years, 3 or more.
4. Some people have suggested SSD compromises quality for
savings. Do you agree?
Strongly agree, agree, depends, disagree, strongly disagree.
5. What tools did you or are you currently using? Robohelp,
Acrobat, FrameMaker, others.
6. Which did you like best? (Why?)
7. Based on labor hours, what were your company's savings (or
loses) per document? For the year?
8. Does your company use SSD for graphic intensive projects?
9. How has your company overcome problems associated with
graphics in SSD?
10. Characterize your customers response to SSD?
11. If you have never used SSD, would you consider using it if
the results of this survey demonstrated significant savings
could be obtained through SSD without compromising quality?
12. Would you consider a follow up survey by phone or e-mail?
13. If you want a copy of the final report include your