Re: Query: Docs delivery via web?

Subject: Re: Query: Docs delivery via web?
From: Damien Braniff <Damien_Braniff -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 08:42:10 +0000

We are currently looking at moving to electronic docs (for our software
initially) to be supplied on CD with the software and, once this has been
achieved, via our web page so that the latest version is always available.
For the MA I'm currently doing I'm looking at the best way of doing this -
PDF, HTML, etc. I'm still currently in the information gathering stage :
survey of users - what they want, need, don't want etc.; looking at how
people learn; the type of users we have - PC literate etc. The initial
stab is going to be PDF - from the company's point of view it's easy to do,
much cheaper, full text indexes can be easily added, printable etc.
Initially both paper and online docs are being supplied with the paper
being phased out over several months. Option still available to buy the
manuals if required.

My research is more geared towards the next generation of the software
where the documentation will, effectively, be starting from scratch.
Basically we're on a learning curve and using the current docs to see what
people think of the online format. This is the way the company wants to go
so our aim is to make sure we get it right and provide all the information
in a form the customer can and will use.

Damien Braniff
Technical Author
PAC International

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=