Re: HTML-Benefit? - Long

Subject: Re: HTML-Benefit? - Long
From: Tracey Moore <traceym -at- APPLIEDMAPPING -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 15:48:54 -0500

Regarding the following statement:

Reasons not to use HTML-based help at this time:

* The user must have IE4 and 32 bit applications

The requirement for IE4 will be moot when more people are using Win98 or NT
5.0. The 32 bit requirement is already there if you don't want to compile
with 3.1 compatibility in Winhelp. If you still need 16 bit capability, the
winhelp engine is still going to ship.

Maybe you can explain to me why:

We have an application that uses HTML help. IE 4 and the necessary drivers are installed on the computer, and you have IE 4.0 up and running. But you surf to the site using Netscape. Try and open the HTML help file and you get gobbleygook.

I don't see how having Win 98 or NT 5.0 will change this. I don't see how the HTML help file will open from Netscape regardless of your operating system.

Netscape just doesn't recognize HTML help. If you have to surf to the site using IE 4, then this point is definitely not moot.

Three months ago Blue Sky told me the very same thing you're saying. But ironically, they are shipping WebHelp with their Office 7.0.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000