Re: Interleaf to Frame+SGML Training

Subject: Re: Interleaf to Frame+SGML Training
From: "Stephen C. Gillespie" <sgillespie -at- FEDEX -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 13:07:30 -0600

Mary,

I'm an Interleaf (UNIX I5/6, 8 yrs) to Frame user, in an (almost)
all-Frame company, and I can't begin to tell you how frustrated I've
been (with no "formal" Frame training)!

After about 18 months on Frame, I've now assumed the task of orienting
new group mbrs to Frame (they aren't impressed either).

We've had "master page" problems, "import by ref" problems, problems
controlling page breaks, and a multitude of crashes.

The MOST frustrating Frame feature (IMO) has been dealing with master
pages. Admittedly, Frame has it over Ileaf in page layout *flexibility*
(in that with an Ileaf doc, it's all-or-nothing as far as page layout
(multi-columns) per "book catalog" -- but for large manuals/docs such as
ours, in basically single-col layout -- fooling with MPs is a major
pain!

I won't let this degenerate into a Frame-bashing...but the second-most
problematic (inferior) feature is the graphics editor ('nuf said)!

Too bad Interleaf let Frame become the (incredibly) "industry standard"!

Steve Gillespie
Sr Tech Writer
Federal Express

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=