Re: Comma rules and the imperative

Subject: Re: Comma rules and the imperative
From: Amy Lodato <a -dot- lodato -at- INTERSHOP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 11:05:28 -0800

Title: RE: Comma rules and the imperative

Seems to me that this would fall under the Strunk and White rule for when the subject is shared between clauses. (I don't think the imperative affects the rule.) Here it is (_Elements of Style_, p. 5):

"When the subject is the same for both clauses and is expressed only once, a comma is useful if the connective is "but." When the connective is "and," the comma should be omitted if the relation between the two statements is close or immediate."

        Example: He has had several years' experience and is thoroughly competent.

Thus, your sentence would be:
        "Type a new filename and click OK."

Regards,

Amy Lodato