Re: Translation Humor - Help is on its way

Subject: Re: Translation Humor - Help is on its way
From: Andy Dugas <adugas -at- NAVIS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 09:10:17 -0800

Betsy's advice is solid. I worked as Portuguese to English translator in
Brazil, and our largest client was a multinational construction firm. They
had corp. comm. policy down to specific phrases. Over time we developed a
set glossary that eliminated this sort of error not only for ourselves but
any subcontractors we might use.

Andrew Dugas

==================================
At 9:14 AM -0600 11/4/98, Betsy Maaks wrote:

> Tom Johnson,
>
> The best translation you will find for dove's rear-end is dove's
> rear-end.
> What you need to do is work with your translation vendor and reviewers,
> preferable in-country (Brazil) to identify the WORD(S) THEY USE IN
> BRAZIL for this item. Think of company salesfolk, VARs or customers
> who use your products or will sell them in Brazil, as sources for these
> industry-specific terms. It's not a matter of better translation--it's a
>
> matter of defining what the English word(s) mean(s) and finding an
> equivalent word used in the target language. In coordinating
> translations, this is probably part of YOUR job--provide as much
> information about the
> product to the translator, because without it, the translation is
> LITERAL.
> Case in point.
>
> This is an item for a glossary, which is a list of words, their
> definitions and the acceptable translated word in Brazilian Portuguese.
> Think of a table with columns: English, English definition, Brazilian
> Portuguese. I think the word "headstock" is another candidate for
> defining a localized word or meaning.
> You should maintain this glossary in conjunction with your translation
> vendor. This is your company's property and is very useful if you need
> use a different vendor (part of the work is already done) or if you need
> begin translations in additional languages (just add a new column).
>
> Sorry, but there really is no QUALITY quick fix without doing this
> "homework". I hope this helps. If you need additional info, contact me.
> Betsy Maaks
> Reply to: bmaaks -at- tellabs -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=