Re: Translation Humor - Help is on its way

Subject: Re: Translation Humor - Help is on its way
From: Betsy Maaks <bmaaks -at- TELLABS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 09:14:22 -0600

Tom Johnson,

The best translation you will find for dove's rear-end is dove's
rear-end.
What you need to do is work with your translation vendor and reviewers,
preferable in-country (Brazil) to identify the WORD(S) THEY USE IN
BRAZIL for this item. Think of company salesfolk, VARs or customers
who use your products or will sell them in Brazil, as sources for these
industry-specific terms. It's not a matter of better translation--it's a

matter of defining what the English word(s) mean(s) and finding an
equivalent word used in the target language. In coordinating
translations, this is probably part of YOUR job--provide as much
information about the
product to the translator, because without it, the translation is
LITERAL.
Case in point.

This is an item for a glossary, which is a list of words, their
definitions and the acceptable translated word in Brazilian Portuguese.
Think of a table with columns: English, English definition, Brazilian
Portuguese. I think the word "headstock" is another candidate for
defining a localized word or meaning.
You should maintain this glossary in conjunction with your translation
vendor. This is your company's property and is very useful if you need
use a different vendor (part of the work is already done) or if you need
begin translations in additional languages (just add a new column).

Sorry, but there really is no QUALITY quick fix without doing this
"homework". I hope this helps. If you need additional info, contact me.
Betsy Maaks
Reply to: bmaaks -at- tellabs -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=