Re: HTML-Benefit?

Subject: Re: HTML-Benefit?
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- ILE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 08:10:27 -0700

Ed writes:

> Interesting opinion, but based on what?
> Please, as a Technical Communicator, be specific. You wrote of the
> lecturers' credentials, but nothing of the information he imparted that
> triggered your resounding rejection of html-based help.

I have to second this request. I heard Joe speak at the Help Technology
Update in Boston last month, and I heard nothing to suggest that
HTML-*based* help systems were not a viable solution now. I agree that MS
HTMLHelp is not as well defined as it should be and that some of its
features lack robustness. I also agree that it doesn't make sense to go to
HTML-based help unless there is a compelling business case to do so.
Cross-platform compatibility and web delivery are two such compelling
reasons. I do believe the major HAT vendors and technology developers need
to do a bit more homework.

Bill Burns
ILE Communications/Eccentric Technology Consultant
billdb -at- ile -dot- com
> Call me fish meal.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=