Re: Occupational hazard of techie tech writers

Subject: Re: Occupational hazard of techie tech writers
From: Damien Braniff <Damien_Braniff -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 09:05:13 +0000

As always, it's about writing for your audience. While I feel that not
being over-familiar with some subjects may help appreciate the user's point
of view it is assuming the user has as little knowledge as you do!! I've
also found that very techie writers are often writing for a "higher level"
end user. I've written stuff for general reading where the level of
understanding was low (e.g. management summaries where what was important,
not how) and I've written stuff for experienced engineers where you don't
have to everything - if they're using the lit you've produced they should
already be familiar with the terms used etc.

Damien Braniff
Technical Author
PAC International

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=