Re: Switch Hitting (was Tech W. & Marketing)

Subject: Re: Switch Hitting (was Tech W. & Marketing)
From: Doug Nickerson <Doug_Nickerson -at- ONSETCOMP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 10:59:40 -0500

Jim Chevallier from N. Hollywood:
>One thing I love about this way of making money (which, as an actor, is
how I
>basically treat it) is the variety of actual assignments which fall under
the
>broad TW umbrella. Intellectually, it's stimulating. Materially, it's a
good
>basis for job security.

Sella Rush replied:
>I don't know whether my background helped or hindered for marketing
writing.
>I have a liberal arts degree with lots of technical learning, and I was
>embarrassed to discover I was really good at marketing writing, worse--I
>enjoyed it! As a change of pace. My background as a fiction writer might
>have played a part as well--as Ron mentions, there is an element of
>"story-telling", at least in my marketing writing.

Which allowed Nea Dodson to add:
>Marketing writing is still a form of explanation - only, instead of
>explaining how something works, you're explaining why someone should
>want to buy it. IMO, after the tech writer has learned a product well
>enough to write the manual, that writer is in the best position to write
>persuasive marketing copy due to familiarity with the product's
>strongest features.

The difference between the types of writing is interesting, and I don't
want to re-open
a debate about "what is" technical writing, but is it useful to
compartmentalize
so much? Writing is having something to say, keeping yourself in
the background, not affecting a breezy manner, and saying it! (Glibly
paraphrasing E.B. White.)

I especially like Ms. Rush's comment about being embarassed at discovering
(a perhaps latent) marketing talent!

A book I was fond of reading a last summer ( I've since moved on :-) ) is
Bob Bly's "Secrets of a Freelance Writer."

The book's advertised focus on "commercial writing" (writing for actual
pay! :-) ) lets it cover
brochures, business plans, user guides, reference manuals, annual reports,
direct marketing
letters, and so on--some things that would come under a definition of TW,
some that maybe would not.
If you're freelance you're probalby looking for *any* writing opportunity.
My lack of a point makes this a bad piece of writing.

Doug Nickerson
Bourne, Mass.
Programmer/freelance author/person

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=