Re: Switch hitting (was TW and Marketing

Subject: Re: Switch hitting (was TW and Marketing
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 21:02:48 EST

In a message dated 98-10-29 20:44:20 EST, sering -at- ECENTRAL -dot- COM writes:

<< I've written a variety of things, from
user docs to magazine articles to a smattering of fiction to (yes)
marketing material. >>
Actually, this is pretty close to my own background as well (though the only
articles I wrote were ghosted for a company exec.)

As it happens, my first staff and then contract jobs in technical writing were
both marketing jobs as well - one creating (often very technical) marketing
materials for a small company, the other doing spec sheets, direct mail and
videos for Xerox (via a direct mail agency.) I got my marketing chops from my
years in radio, but - ex-programmer though I also was - I never saw any
contradiction between trying to be clear and entertaining and trying to be
precise. It was simply another spot on the wide continuum which defines our
trade. Certainly, I've written many user manuals which were less 'technical'
in tone than what I did for Xerox.

One thing I love about this way of making money (which, as an actor, is how I
basically treat it) is the variety of actual assignments which fall under the
broad TW umbrella. Intellectually, it's stimulating. Materially, it's a good
basis for job security.

Jim Chevallier
North Hollywood
Updated! Chez Jim: Jim Chevallier's home page - http://www.gis.net/~jimcheval