Screen font appearance on Macs & PCs...

Subject: Screen font appearance on Macs & PCs...
From: Dan Schmitz <djs -at- GENE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 13:55:43 -0800

Hi, all.

I have been developing database applications that are viewed on both
Macintosh and Windows PCs. The database application is Filemaker Pro, but I
think my question is a general one related to fonts and operating systems.

I am having a problem with specific fonts looking different on Macintosh
and Windows screens. I've tried using the fonts that appear to be common to
the two operating systems, like Arial or Times New Roman. However, what
looks good on a Mac often looks bad on a PC, or the other way around.
Printed output is not really a problem, just how the fonts display on screen.

It becomes a real issue as I have to design interfaces with labeled
buttons, as well as format a lot of design elements into a relatively small
interface. Fonts displayed correctly on my Windows PC will often be too big
or not fit in the space provided when viewed on a Mac. In an environment of
mixed computing platforms, it would be nice if what I see is what everyone
else sees.

This really only becomes an issue when designing interfaces, which I do
quite a bit. I suppose I should know more about font handling and operating
systems, but I don't. Can anyone suggest one or more fonts that look the
same on both platforms? Or some other solution?

Thanks in advance!

Dan Schmitz
Technical Writer
Process & Automation Engineering