Re: ADA guidlines for website design

Subject: Re: ADA guidlines for website design
From: William E Newkirk <wenewkir -at- MBNOTES -dot- CCA -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 08:50:36 -0500

>Don't forget that not only should you consider ADA, but other typical
>visual issues. Consider your color usage for people who are color
>blind.
>Elizabeth Bailey

This also should extend to many other programs, not just web page design.
We've had programs that require the user to tell the difference between
shades of a color or between same brightness of red/green, etc. For
example, folks that have "low color depth" in their vision could be
confounded by pastels (such as might be used to highlight a path in a flow
chart for a type of task or on a time line chart).

I realize it's a major pain to put such adaptibility into a program, but
we've had a couple of programs that have come in over the years that were
unusuable by the end user because the color selections were such that the
"color-blind" (that's not the right description of the problem, but it'll
do) couldn't see any *difference* between the colors used. He could see the
lines, but picking the red or the green one wasn't possible because they
didn't look different to him.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=