Performance Criteria

Subject: Performance Criteria
From: David Matis <DavidM -at- SYSTEM1 -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 10:32:35 -0800

I'm producing an HTML help system, installation guide, and configuration
guide for an equipment-leasing software package. I'm new to the company, the
project, the leasing industry, and have two months to complete the
documents.

The fact is we don't have time to interview users and conduct usability
tests. Essentially I'm going to slap something together and then fix it
later.

I'm going to suggest that there is better way to work--that we can measure
plan for quality and measure success by establishing performance criteria .
I've put together the list of objectives and success indicators below--they
are difficult to measure. Has anyone got a list of performance criteria by
which I can measure the success of a document--a check-list or other
resource.

I'd appreciate any help.  Thanks!

We want to create high-quality technical publications that...

* Add value.
* Increase customer satisfaction by helping create self-sufficient,
confident, and happier users.
* Make information more accessible.
* Make customers productive by helping them solve problems more
quickly and get their jobs done more efficiently.
* Reduce training costs by making learning faster and mastery more
easily attainable.
* Lower barriers for discretionary and infrequent users.
* Foster use by diverse user communities.
* Reduce the cost of customer support
* Reduce the cost of field maintenance.
* Increase the sales of the product by providing a competitive
advantage.
* Ensure a better reputation for the product.

The [product name] documentation effort will be a success to the extent that
we are able to...

* Get closer to the customer and establish the connection between
satisfying customer needs and providing them with the technical information
they need to reach their goals.
* Collaborate with the customer in the development of publications.
* Communicate effectively with developers and others in the
organization about the publications-development process.
* Reduce redundancy and inefficiency in publication projects.
* Eliminate over-design.
* Improve the quality and usefulness of the information produced.
* Provide opportunities for innovation where they count.
* Reduce unnecessary costs associated with the development of
publications.
* Respond effectively to changing project requirements and
organizational needs.

David Matis
Senior Technical Writer
System 1 Software

(800) 827-2010
<mailto:davidm -at- system1 -dot- com> davidm -at- system1 -dot- com
<http://www.system1.com> www.system1.com

146 North Canal Street / Suite 200 / Seattle, WA 98103

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000