Re: Is a tech writing degree best? Was:TECHWR-L in the News

Subject: Re: Is a tech writing degree best? Was:TECHWR-L in the News
From: Barbara Karst-Sabin <barbara -at- QUOTE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 09:14:11 -0800

I got my Master's in Tech Writing and Editing via a grow your own
program in which you had to prove that your course requirements involved
at least two Schools. I was planning to do a variety of technical
writing, so I wanted a base in several different things.

However, I actually had one manager who questioned my qualifications
because my degree was over 10 years old, in spite of the fact that I'd
been working in the field in the interim. Go figure!

There's no second guessing the individual.

BJ

Layna Andersen wrote:

> > I am wondering if this really is the general perception out there.
> >
> > Any opinions?
>
> Out of left field -- there are different KINDS of tech writing degrees. Mine came
> out of the English department at USF; I know at some schools they come out
> of Engineering, and maybe some other departments too.
>
> I got a nice job with my tech writing degree, but I know some others who got
> similarly nice jobs with English Lit degrees + experience, and things like that.
>
> Layna Andersen
>
> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=