Re: putting a bitmap on a web page

Subject: Re: putting a bitmap on a web page
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 09:57:02 -0600

I'm trying to figure out how to put a bitmap on a web page. I made
the bitmap in microsofts paint program and when I view the bitmap
through my browser it shows me the entire paint program and lets me
edit the graphic. But I dont want to be able to see the entire
program or edit the graphic.

If what you're trying to do is put a BMP file in a page, the best advice is
-- don't. By doing that you're limiting your audience to those who have
software installed which can read it it, and BMP is *not* a popular format.
GIF is probably appropriate, though I doubt microsoft's paint can create
it; you may need to pick up another tool.

While you're at it, you might want to pick up something which creates .JPG
(JPEG -- Joint Photographic Experts Group) and .PNG (Portable Network
Graphics) files. Usually for files created on a computer (as opposed to
scanned photographs) GIF is the more compact format, but JPEG can
occasionally do better than GIF even on those files. Both of those file
formats are supported natively in most browsers, so your visitors won't
have to install new software just to see what's on your site (requiring
this is almost always a bad idea). PNG has the potential to completely
replace GIF and replace JPEG under some circumstances, but it currently has
the disadvantage of not being supported in most browsers yet. That will
change, however.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224