Re: Fed up with Eric's Rules

Subject: Re: Fed up with Eric's Rules
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 13:10:24 EST

In a message dated 10/27/98 8:42:10 AM Pacific Standard Time, Laurel -at- NICHE-
ASSOCIATES.COM writes:

<< Perhaps another mailing list should be started....with the idea being
community, discussion, and networking for the technical communicator. >>
Which is the appropriate solution.

On every list I've been on, someone sooner or later complains about
'censorships' and rules. Yet the Net is a wide-open frontier. If you want a
list with a different flavor, START ONE. Which is exactly what a bunch of
dissident actors did on an actor's list I was on.

In regards to the usefulness of this list, we have one person (under a
pseudonym?) complaining that nothing useful ever gets posted (a blatant
fallacy) and another saying, in effect, that TOO much useful stuff gets
posted. "Do your own research"? Lists like this are one of the places I DO my
research - and try to offer whatever concrete information I can to others.

The person who started this thread basically contradicted themselves simply by
posting their complaint HERE. If this wasn't a thriving venue for technical
writers (4000 strong), there would be no point in posting a call for a
'better' TW list here. As the poster well knows, this list is the main on-
line gathering point for technical writers. And that's largely because of the
rules which keep it focussed.

Jim Chevallier
North Hollywood

New!! Pictures of Paris!! http://www.geocities.com/paris/1998