Re: degrees

Subject: Re: degrees
From: Doug Nickerson <Doug_Nickerson -at- ONSETCOMP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 10:26:24 -0500

Ann Larmon wrote:
>My own experience with a degree (BS, English/Tech Writing) is that it
>has not been much use. Everyone wants it, but no one will take it.

>I am self-published, as well as in scientific and professional
>journals, but no one seems to care, even with the awards I won in
>college for my writing. My experience is limited, but includes
>publishing varied media.

Ann,

This may be your experience -- I hope you are generalizing too much
when you say "no one will take it" [your degree].

Must we conclude that a degree doesn't matter, or is a waste?

I'm inordinately senstive to the 'degree is worthless' argument
[which you are *not* saying]. The "degree is not worth it" is the other
side of the "why do I need a degree" argument. A degree having some worth
can coexist with the idea that it's not entirely necessary for ever
endeavor.

I tend to think education is worthwhile (and any experience that
doesn't kill you is education :-) ).

As to your particular job search, you say you've self-published and have
some journal publishing
credits. Couldn't those credits be packaged up in a portfolio presentation
in some way, to put a better foot forward? haven't people gotten
jobs with less?

Luck,

Doug Nickerson
Bourne, Mass.