Re: metadiscourse in popup text

Subject: Re: metadiscourse in popup text
From: Scott Miller <smiller -at- PORTAL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 16:38:04 -0800

Depending on the software you're documenting, the "Name" field can be
tricky. Here are some things that users might want to know about the "Name"
field:

- Is it case sensitive?
- Where will the name appear?
- How long can it be?
- Is it the entire name?
- Should I include the middle initial?
- Does it have to match a name elsewhere, like on a tax return label?
- Is it my login name or human name?
- Can I use dashes or spaces?
- Does it have to be unique, that is, if someone else in my company has the
same name, will something break?
- Last name first?
- If last name first, do I use a comma after the last name?
- Can I change my name later?

- Scott Miller
smiller -at- portal -dot- com

> >It's easy to dismiss a field of this nature by saying "Name??? Duh, why
> should
> >I bother creating a popup for that; everybody knows what their name
> is".

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=