metadiscourse in popup text

Subject: metadiscourse in popup text
From: Manual Writer <manualwriter -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 22:13:28 PDT

I have been following the thread on metatext and would like to add my
two cents worth. (Is that metatext or should I just add my two cents
worth without this comment?)

As far as the thread goes, I think others have made both sides of the
issue quite clear and I would have to go down the middle. My
interpretation: whether you call it "metatext" or not, just make sure
it is not redundant of a previous item or could be said in a much
clearer way.

Now my pet peeve is these popup text messages on fields for seemingly
common words like "Name", "Server", "Address" that say uninformative
things like "Enter your name", "Enter the Server name", "Enter the
address", respectively. To these supposed help messages I immediately
ask, "My name in what format? Or does format matter? Full name or just
first name? Is this field really necessary? Where does this information
get used?", "What kind of server: database, hardware, ftp, etc.? Is
there full fledged help topic that clarifies this term. [And dito
questions regarding format.]", and similarly for address. It is my
opinion, if you are not going to say something useful, don't say
anything at all (applies to professional writing--I have found occassion
to say useless things as stress relievers privately--just ask any two
year old :-)
--
Seth Buffington
LRMB Assoc. (972) 928-2578