Re Document Numbering/Configuration

Subject: Re Document Numbering/Configuration
From: "Mark L. Levinson" <nosnivel -at- NETVISION -dot- NET -dot- IL>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 14:30:57 +0200

I got into a document-numbering tangle a while ago at the
software company where I worked, and the advice that I finally
got-- good advice, I think, and maybe it came from this list--
was Keep It Short and Simple. Don't try to cram every item
of relevant information into the document number. If you do,
then you will be the only person who understands the number.
At worst, incorrect numbers will be assigned when you're away.
Even at best, anyone else trying to extract information from the
number will need to contact you or to consult a table. So
you're better off assigning simple numbers and using a separate
table to map them to other significant information in the first
place.

Mark L. Levinson - Herzlia, Israel - nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il
A Hard Day's Night. ... They could have stopped after the
opening chord and still had a hit. - Nick Andrews, Sydney

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=