Re: ethical problem/job hunting - Slightly different angle

Subject: Re: ethical problem/job hunting - Slightly different angle
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 12:58:58 -0400

I'd like to make a few comments on this:
> But here's the twist to this little tale. I work in a technical
> publications department with my fiancee. We are both software
> administrator's (different programs/software) for our department's DTP
> systems. My fiancee is leaving the company to work for one of our
> competitors.

Too bad the company knows she is going to one of their competitors. That could
make it tricky. I always think it is better for spouses to NOT work for the
same company and/or industry. Reason? If the company has a downturn and has
to start laying off, there is the potential that both of you will be out of
work. In the same industry there is still this risk, although not as great, if
the industry as a whole experiences a downturn.

If it were possible, I would only state that my spouse is leaving for reasons
of market diversity along with other stuff ($, security, etc.)

Their response seems somewhat justified, as you admit you that is was your
intent to follow her. So, why should they invest any money in training you?
Does it make sense that they would train you to the benefit of their
competitor? They probably were going into a holding pattern, to see IF you
were going to make a move, which would make sense. When you do make a move,
you're only justifying their actions. They can pat themselves on the back that
they made the right decision.

I didn't interpret the fact that they sent someone else to be trained as
evidence that they are planning to axe you. Merely that they had concerns
regarding your loyalty and longevity (valid it seems).

Good luck though.

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=